Travelling using the train in Kenya? You can now use your mobile phone to book the SGR Madaraka Express. Follow the steps indicated below and you can book your ticket without going online. This was announced on the Kenya Railways website. In order to buy your tickets, follow the steps below:
How to book SGR Madaraka Express using your Phone USSD:
- Dial *639# and press call.
- Select 1. Book a Ticket.
- After you select ‘Book Ticket’ select the station you are going to board Madaraka Express from. This is under ‘Where are you departing from?’ menu.
- Select the station you will be traveling to. This is Under ‘What’s your destination?’
- Enter your travel date.
- Choose your preferred coach. Choose between ‘FirstClass’ and ‘SecondClass’
- Enter total number of passengers. The maximum number you can book is for 5 passengers.
- Enter how many children passengers are between the ages of 3-11 years.
- Next, Enter your full name and ID no.
- Finally, make payment via MPESA. You can choose to ‘Pay Now’ or ‘Pay Later’
Pictures: Book SGR using mobile phone (USSD)
You will be redirected to MPESA on your phone when you choose pay now. Here you input your PIN to complete paying for the tickets. If you choose pay later, you will be given a Paybill Number and an account number.
Once booking is done, you will receive a confirmation SMS. Your SMS has a special reference number indicating your destination, time and date of travel and the number of passengers.
You’ll be able to print the tickets from the self service machines at the station.